Sunday, September 20, 2009

Half Chance not Taken

Match scorecard

It was always going to be a tough ask scoring 275 on Saturday, but in the end we made a good fist of it and perhaps missed out on cashing in on a half chance given to us by Freddy and Dee.

Freddy consistently chipped away despite both Bens, Pete and Mick falling around him. Our situation looked dire until Dee arrived at the crease and immediately set a positive tone, blasting some aggressive shots.

We were right on track with our scoring rate as Freddy and Dee powered along, with Wakehurst leaking even more runs bringing on bowlers to try and buy a wicket. At 6/192 the target began to look very achievable, but unfortunately that was when we lost Freddy for 86.

It was my turn to hit the middle and I scratched around for my first few runs. However, I felt confident and became comfortable quite quickly. That all went out the window when I drove a ball towards a deepish mid on and wanted a single for it, I shot out of the blocks and was sent back by an unmoved Dee and I couldn't quite make my ground. There was a little conjecture over the run out, their keeper was all over the stumps and to me it seemed that he took the stumps out with his gloves before the ball hit.

Anyway I was out for 5 and again we looked up against it at 8/205. Sure enough Darren and Brown came and went and Dee was left stranded on 54, the team stopped at 215.

Dave Quarford was a clear man of the match with his 4 wickets and 86 runs, a very strong start to the season.

We sit in 5th on the table with each other losing team losing worse than us.

Next week we come up against St Peters who lost by 6 wickets to Belrose this round and we will be hoping to get our season off the mark at Millers.

Goals Update:

Lead Comp
Open Bowling
2.3 Wickets Per Game
Batting Average 15
Player of Day
Top 10 Club Champion Pts

So not a great start, but I will be striving to turn some of those ticks into crosses over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment